Cubelli excited ahead of milestone match

Wed, May 19, 2021, 6:14 PM
Bryce Conway
by Bryce Conway
<p>Tomás Cubelli</p>
<p>Tomás Cubelli</p>

The Western Force is determined to return to the winners list tomorrow night in their Round 2 Super Rugby Trans-Tasman clash with the Highlanders at HBF Park.

The match-up is a special occasion for Force’s star Argentinian international scrumhalf, with Tomás Cubelli set to make his 50th Super Rugby appearance in what has been a stellar career so far.

“I’m really excited about it and I’m looking forward to having a great game with the team,” Cubelli said.

“It’s taken me a while to get to 50 games, but I think the most important thing is I’m still enjoying playing in this competition and happy with the opportunity to play tomorrow night with the boys.

“It’s great to see the team growing with every game, in tightness and quality. I’m really enjoying being a part of this journey with the club and there’s a great future ahead.”

Captain Kyle Godwin can’t wait to play in front of the home fans again and is well aware of the attacking strengths the Highlanders pose.

“We always love playing against Kiwi sides. They are some of the best in the world and we want to test ourselves against the best,” Godwin said.

“(Aaron Smith) is massive for them. He’s a quality world-class player. For us, we have to make sure we nullify him.

“It’s been great all year, we love playing in front of the Sea of Blue and hopefully we can send them off with a great victory tomorrow night.”

Share
Cron: We need to make sure we shut down teams like that
Force find winning touch with victory over Penina Pasifika
Force push Crusaders but fall short after second-half spree
Cron on changes - 'You can only shadow box for so long'