Force goes down to strong a Rebels’ outfit

In a tough night for the men in black and gold the Force couldn’t continue their dominance they saw last week against the Brumbies, going down to the Rebels by 38 points at AAMI Park. 

The Force counter attacked well putting together around eight phases before Sam Spink was able to skip over for an easy try set up by Max Burey.

The hosts were able to hit back through former Force halfback Ryan Louwrens who was able to use the momentum to score a try off with a scoot off the back of the ruck.

After a quick follow up try from the Rebels the Force were able to get back down field and attack again. Burey fed Hamish Stewart a brilliant little chip kick that ultimately got the Force right in range of scoring.

Leading into halftime the Rebels were able to get another try to make it 17 points straight as Sam Talakai crashed over for his side.

As halftime struck the Rebels led the Force by 12 points with a bit work needed to hold the ball and consolidating pressure when they were given opportunities.

Five minutes into the second half the long-awaited return of Wallaby Izaak Rodda came for the Force as they looked to him to give them the boost they needed.

Melbourne was the first side to get on the board out of halftime giving the visitors a hill to climb with the score at 24-7.

While Force defence was solid the Rebels were able to secure an additional try through another former Force talent in Michael Hardwick. 

The Force saw a ray of hope when Sam Spink incepted the ball on the Rebels 22 to get his second try of the evening closing the gap coming into the final 20 minutes. 

The Rebels were able to get another score through simple draw and pass to get outside of the Force defence ending with a try from Lachie Anderson.

The Force looked dominant coming into the final ten minutes however the visitors couldn’t convert it into points.

WA boy Nick Jooste was able to land the final dagger for the Rebels with an intercept try that sent him 50 metres to score.

Not done the Rebels got one more through Vaiolini Ekuasi who was set up by Reece Hodge who was able to take a high ball in space to gain territory.

Despite the score the Force saw good performances from Sam Spink and Max Burey who continue to be enforcers within the blackline.

While many individuals from the Force had solid performances, it just wasn’t their night as the Rebels closed out the game 52-14.


Rebels 52

Tries: Ryan Louwrens, Brad Wilkin, Sam Talakai, Josh Kemeny, Richard Hardwick, Lachie Anderson, Nick Jooste, Vaiolini Ekuasi

Conversion: Reece Hodge 6

Force 14

Tries: Sam Spink 2

Conversion: Max Burey 2

NZ duo bolster Force women's team for trial game against Rebels
Cron calls for Force 'bounceback game' in Super Round
Williams returns to Force team for Super Round clash with Rebels
Western Force accepts Marley Pearce suspension